View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 07:24 PM
fzzzty
Fire Beetle

I would venture that the mentioned agreement is actually irrelevant to the OP, sorry to say. Note that the actual agreement isn't posted anywhere, and the fact that you're even asking this basically indicates that you're not covered by that agreement. The announcement specifically refers to P99, not EQEmu and certainly not all EQEmu servers nor other individual servers or projects. P99 probably uses their own fork of EQEmu, also, so if the software is part of the agreement, it might well only cover that fork.

I can't imagine that the agreement retroactively, or, coincidentally (?), covers all other not-for-profit EQEmu servers in addition to P99, although that would be great. I don't see how it can legally include anyone that doesn't even know the content of it, either, so I don't see how it could cover anyone else that runs their own server.

I don't think Daybreak would go after anyone running a not-for-profit server, and I'm not worried about it personally, but if you are concerned about this, do not rely on that announcement as assurance that you won't receive a takedown notice. An announcement is not an agreement, and an agreement to which you were not a party, in which you are likely not named, you likely did not sign, and of which you don't even know the details, it extremely likely to not involve or cover you at all.

It's a good thing for the P99 people, but I'm pretty certain only the P99 people, probably not even the EQEmu project. Don't get me wrong, I like P99, what they have accomplished is great, I'm just adding a dose of reality to this thread.