Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 04:41 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

I disagree Scorpious, simple fact is anyone who wants the source will most likley Rewrite it to suit their needs and wishes and wont redistribute their particular brand of the client. Atleast thats what anyone who would actually want a truly custom client would do source or no source there is enough already open sourced in the client to do far worse then macroquest considering every single packet struct is there not only that but the loginserver code is oss among other things.

If people want to cheat the system i doubt they are going to take the time to edit then recompile a whole client to do it when it would be soooo much simpler to just edit those plain text files.

The entire point of SC is to allow people to make brand new games this cannot be done without the source code, unless they want a cookie cutter version of well EQ.

My two cents is to have an open source version to allow the community to work on it, however SC does NOT work with any servers currently on the public ls anyway so the cheating aspect is really a moot point as any server ops who really are serious about making a totally unique game would likely change a great deal to make it happen both on their server and in the client atleast that is what we would do with LJ.

I mean whats the point of SC if you cant customize it entirely its just a much less developed flavor of the base EQ client if people cant edit it as they want to, seems like a buttload of wasted time on WC's part when you want to impose the same limitations on the people using it that they already endure with the main eq client anyway, Like i said what is the point when they can just use the EQ client if all they can do in SC is add zones and things like that which is all they can do in the EQ client now?

Keeping it closed source is what is keeping the people interested in it from devoting any real time to using it IMO Because like I said why would they bother with it when its simpler to use the main eq client which already works with the latest servers, has a ton more content and models and features