Thread: eqstr_us.txt
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 01:17 PM
neiv2
Hill Giant

Quote:
Not true ... the eqstr_us.txt file for the zones is only the text that gets displayed when zoning ... like Entering My Happy Zone.

If in game you want it to ... when you do a /who all happyzone say There are 10 people in My Happy Zone. You need to make sure the shortname (happyzone) and longname (My Happy Zone) in your zone table reflect that. All the client cares about is the zoneidnumber ... that's it.
Although that would make sense technically, neither of these will work in real life. You cannot change the short name of a zone in the zone table (and corresponding tables) without breaking the zone (it simply will not recognize that zone exists). And, you cannot change the eqstr_us.txt file and expect it to display Entering Happy Zone. Believe me, I've tried this at least a dozen times. In most cases it just breaks the game and displays "String not found" messages at the character select screen. But it never changes the "Entering" text when zoning. Something else in the code is responsible for that.

Having said that, Xardon, if you could disclose the secret to changing zone names without breaking the game or hacking the code, it would be greatly appreciated.