View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 01:09 AM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

First, thank you for all the great questions, and I'll try my best to answer each one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbGame View Post
How will the server work with Boxing etc? I'm someone for example who doesn't like to box massive armies. Will I be screwed on this server? Will it be designed around boxing where players will shut me out and I basically won't have a choice but to box?
No boxing allowed. At all. The hard part is people who use the same ISP to play in the same room, how do you identify and track them? I plan to make this a process, an interview, and it'll be noted for the community to retain transparency. I really want people to feel a community, and identify people by their characters, and create a group of close friends, many of my mechanics is about finding others to play Everquest with, not "Own the server by myself". When world events happen, you'll be voting with your actions, and I want to ensure each vote is based on the person behind it, not who can 24 box. (Heavy WIP)

Quote:
Will there be grinds that exist to make your character more powerful so if you choose so you can do these grinds and take your time if you don't want to box a massive army?
Yes.. there will be grinds, sort of. I say sort of, since they are not required, just really nice additions. They aren't all REQUIRED FOR LIFE. I'm trying really hard to get people into a casual mindset, nobody has the time initially for a hardcore experience, I want to start casual, smooth, with lots of great memories and experiences you can share with friends, then later, optionally, you can grind. I'm also trying to make it worthwhile to reroll and relive lower levels with newcomers, with the encounter and card system. I'll answer this question more at the end, when I talk about my goal of end game and some examples of grinding. (Community on bottom)

Quote:
When it comes to teleporting, I like to travel, so I hope you don't make getting everywhere super easy if you want people to be more immersed into traveling, yet I don't want to be constantly running everywhere.
I have a #teleport command in game, which is limited to: ecommons, gfaydark, fieldofbone, commons, dreadlands, northkarana, sro, tox currently. It costs money to use. I may remove it all together, with the introduction to #return. It's primarily there during testing, and to give users the ability to talk about how they feel about it. While I have commands that replace key roles of certain classes, as those classes become available on the server, I plan to up the price of said convenience commands, I never want to replace a class. I want player interaction as high as possible, but also want to ensure small community is survivable.

Traveling is still a burden. Norrath is big, and it's a walk to many places, especially while wizards and druids aren't around. #return is a lifesaver for corpse runs right now. #rez is insanely awesome, as it summons your corpse and gives 96% rez currently. (combo #return #rez and it's jaw dropping). These will become more and more costly as the community grows and feedback happens. Perhaps even disabled. Traveling is still a pain, overall, since the list of locations is so limited, and I may limit or increase it, based on community feedback. (These commands are all 100% custom and controllable by me).

Quote:
I look forward to trying this server and the work you have done looks great!
I'm making a server I would love to play on. I hope others will join and love the experience as well!

COMMUNITY
My goal to help build a community, and in general make this server a great experience, is catering to this mindset: Yes, you can solo. Soloing is boring, the builds help spice things up and other niceties, but you'll quickly find that with builds and the little changes everywhere, you'll want to play with others. Hopefully you find other players online the same time as you, within the same level as you. If not, bring a friend! (I plan to add a referral system to help entice this activity). Your friends will then play, and group with those on the server, and perhaps bring even more friends, and eventually.. the community grows, and it thrives.

The end content will be scaled and catered to a more casual group-oriented experience. Right now I'm thinking no more than 12, maybe 18 people for the hardest content. But really, majority of content is group-at-most (This is heavily subject to community size and involvement/vote). As we all know, original EQ legit style was a 54 man raid style (if not more!), and that's just crazy with eqemu populations. I plan to add some really fun ways to keep a competitive nature on large noted mobs, while also prevent deadlock. (I've never seen it handled the way I'm imagining before).

As far as grinding, when you reach level 60, you are level capped, yes.. However the game takes a twist. Why? There's no Alternative Advancement EXP. Instead, once you max level 60, your experience goes into a pool buffer. This buffer fills and fills, and is quite large. If you die while level 60 with maximum exp, the experience loss is first taken from the pool buffer prior to your actual level experience.

If you type #exp in game, you can see how much your experience buffer is, measured by the size of a potion. What is a potion? Certain NPCs in the game will allow you to trade an Empty Experience Vial and currency to them, in exchange they will take a potion's worth of experience from your buffer and fill the vial with your excess pool and hand you the result. This Filled Experience Vial is a tradable item, used in quests to unlock AAs. This means as you welcome friends to the server, or make a second character to explore a new build, you can "twink" by giving them your extra EXP Bottles so they can complete AA quests at earlier levels. No more level 52-req mindset. Unfortunately, your friends and twinks cannot drink the EXP potion, but if the community wants it bad enough, who knows?

Another grinding aspect is that velious-end tier gear has a system in the works that makes the ancient and unadorned upgradable beyond velious end-tier gear, by combining two together with a chance of the yielded upgrade failing. it will help prevent rott while you keep running these end-game zones for new end-tier players, it will also keep hardcore players VERY busy as you need many pieces if they want the absolute best gear. (It also isn't a requirement for everyone to grind, if you're casual, don't sweat the hardcore stuff. You just won't be the very best geared, just nearly best.)

The card system is also spread across Norrath, and their rarities are very significant, and very noteworthy to collect. As you casually play Norrath you may find something that is very valuable and rare and be contacted by fellow players in eager anticipation for purchase, or if you're hardcore, you'll be finding yourself killing in certain areas for the hope of a certain card to drop.

And I still haven't even talked about encounters.. *breathes*.

There's many many more, hopefully I wasn't too wordy.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com

Last edited by Shin Noir; 05-25-2016 at 01:46 AM..