View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 03:05 AM
donaldcanard
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
That's definitely a modern reproduction -- they didn't have plastic back then :P
Since the subject is on my school years, late 50s to early 70s, we had lots of plastic. Even clear plastic, my toy cars had see through windshields. So although I cannot remember a pencil sharpener with a clear storage chamber, it would not have been impossible

Also there was a substance call Bakelite Plastics in the decades before me. It was dense dark plastic used in electrical applications. Just out of curiosity I looked up Bakelite on Wikipedia and found that it was invented in 1912. Also something I did not know is that it could also be made translucent and used in pipe steams and jewelry as well as lots of other uses.

Well enough of this, time to go back to killing spiders. I hate spiders (I think that this was caused by my older brother and sister taking me to see the the 1955 film "Tarantula" when I was around 7 years old. Since then, until about about 25 years ago when I moved to Europe, I would wake up and see a 1 to 2 foot spider crawling on the walls. When this happen, I usually lay still telling myself I am dreaming again. But once I woke up and saw about 12 inch tarantula dangling from the ceiling fan above the bed. I did what I always did, lay there telling myself I am dreaming again. It just so happened that for some reason my wife set up in the bed directly under the tarantula. I then also sit up so I could hit on the back with both hands. I screamed to her "Run!!!". I am very proud of myself for getting closer to the tarantula in order to save my wife. I caught up to her in the hall way between our two children's rooms where she was trying to decide which child to save. She screamed at me what's wrong. I said a giant tarantula is over the bed. She said "Oh, that again" and went back to bed. The above part about my wife was not part of a dream, we talked about it the next morning. I think that she started hating my brother and sister at that point. Sorry about the long off topic story)