View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 12:06 AM
kuahara
Sarnak

No, when I configured the virtual machine in vmware, I told it that it could have 16GB of memory, 50GB of disk space, access to all 4 CPU cores, etc... When it comes to disk space, it only consumes what it actually needs. I assumed the same was true with memory, but it is not.

After a reboot of this machine, I popped open taskmgr and added up the amount of memory consumed by what little was running. Less than 2GB was in use. If I go over to the performance tab right next to processes, it shows about the same thing. Almost no memory is in use. When I fire up vmware and start up the server, things change. My processes tab shows vmware uses a few hundred MB of memory, but it still adds up to less than 2GB of total memory consumption. The performance tab, however, shows that I'm using 18.6GB of memory.

I go over to the VM (server 2008 R2) and open taskmgr there to check. The performance tab there shows the server is only using 2.7GB of memory.

If I shut down the VM, the host machine gets 16GB of memory back under the performance tab. It seems pretty obvious that the VM is reserving 16GB of memory from the host simply because it is allowed to use it, whether it needs it or not.

Another assumption I made that doesn't seem to hold true is that if the performance tab showed I was using X amount of memory, then I'd be able to go over to the processes tab, which lists every running process and how much memory it is using, and be able to add that up and get approximately the same total that the performance tab shows I am using. With vmware in play, this is not even remotely close to true.

I can provide screenshots of all of this in action.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't answer the question about the drawbacks of ROF2. I have an underfoot client with an MQ2 build for UF that includes the active hacks you referred to earlier. As a workaround, I could just make all my toons GMs and use #goto instead. I also couldn't make autologin work. I referred to your instructions in the wiki, but at the field where it says "server=" there's no instructions if you are running your own private server. I tried leaving it set to EZ, blank, and a number of other things that I thought might make it work with my personal server, but when I run the shortcut to get into the game, the result is always the same. It says there's an error in the GUI XML files and to check the log. The log only contains a timestamp and no other information. I noticed the maps were far from complete. I might just be able to copy the map files from my UF build and paste them in. There were a number of other things missing (a lot just from the UF MQ2 build) that I found I'd need to come up with alternate methods of doing. In the end, it just seemed like it'd make better sense to continue working on what I'd started before downloading ROF2. I might give it another shot later if there's a persuasive enough reason to go back.