View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Torven
Sarnak

Stumbled upon this post from Prathun which I think is worth including here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathun
There are various ways that an NPC can be assigned a spell to cast: a script call, spell innate, contact innate, auto memorization, or a spell list. The last one, the spell list, allows us to override the spell's natural resist mod. This isn't data that you can parse, (the spell data file is an anomaly as far as pushing EverQuest's nuts and bolts out to the client), since the spell list and NPC aren't player facing. In this case, the NPC in question is probably using spell list 11, which has a -740 resist mod for Clawing Darkness.
I'm guessing 'spell innates' are things like dragon AoEs, and 'contact innates' are NPC procs. It also seems Sony/Daybreak does have the option to set a resist adjust override in spell lists after all, even if the examples I thought I found were actually caused by a different feature.

It's interesting to note that Sony separates 'spell innates' from spell lists, which is not what EQEmu does-- we just have lists. I've actually run into a problem for TAKP, in that some NPC abilities need to fire immediately after the cooldown expires, but the spell AI has random delays for any spell in the spell list that cannot be disabled via database. Cazic Touch for example fires every 45 seconds on Live like clockwork, but eqemu will add an additional delay. Also, spell priorities have to be set in a way such that the spells that should be 'innates' always have priority, else common spells like roots and heals could get chosen over more important abilities like DTs and AoEs.

I neglected to mention previously in this thread that I've also discovered that innate NPC spell procs have a special logic to them. They seem to disregard certain spell data fields and forcibly hit the NPC's target and only that target. Zlandicar, Thall Xundraux Diabo, Kaas Thox Xi Aten Ha Ra, shiverbacks, and spirited harpies all proc spells that are flagged as AoEs but only hit their targets. Sony could either toggle procs to be single target only, or they are all hardcoded that way. Also spells like scareling shadowstep and test dummy complete heals are flagged beneficial but hit the target instead of the NPC caster. For TAKP I made innate NPC procs always hit the target and only the target until I find an example otherwise.