View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 10:10 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Just some trivial knowledge (for those who might need it).

Forwarding ports: (these need to be forwarded in your modem/router and open in windows/linux firewall) This is ONLY if a server is giving external connection access. Port forwarding is not needed for a LAN network. The only thing port forwarding does, is allow internet access through those ports. Otherwise, it's not needed.

Basic (with private external loginserver) - 5998, 5999, 7000 to 7500, 7778, 9000, 9001 - But, if you want to access your database remotely (external connection), you need 3306 forwarded. (That port is the default used by MySQL or MariaDB) NOTE: remote access to your database is only needed for external connections.

What I showed above is a basic port setup that would let you run a public server, that could be patched into the Emu public loginserver, as well as having a private loginserver. But there is only so much you can do, when you want to customize port useage. Telnet is NOT required to run a server, it's an option you can enable, as a preference. But world has to use either 9000 or 9001. If you want your SQL access to use something different than 3306, you would have to set that up in your MySQL/MariaDB installation and THEN change it in your config files. The zone ports (7000-7500) can be what you want them to be, but also need to match the config file. Just keep in mind, when assigning any ports, to make sure nothing else on your computer is using those ports.

Myself, I don't use telnet, so I stick to the basic of using port 9000 for world connections and 7100-7500 for zone ports. That zone port range is simply allowing enough ports for xxxx amount of zones to launch, when players connect and enter those zones. So, for example, if you get 400 players connecting to your server, and they all zone into different zones, you need 400 zone ports open and 400 zone launchers available. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it ? lol. Yes, 400 zone ports/launchers is an overkill, but we do it anyways.