Thread: New Linux User
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 03:31 AM
sesmar
I built it I will Support it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy84
The fact that 99% of the time you must compile your own programs because of how varied out all the different linux distros are. With Windows, the API has pretty much been the same for the past 3 iterations of windows so there is a lot of cross compatibilty. With linux, no one distro is the same and you must install dependencies right and left to make apps compile, and then function properly.

If there was a set guideline to each distrobution that would create rules for what should be automattically installed, it would be eaiser for the end user, but then there would be tons of bloated linux installs and then other people would suffer.

Anyhow, I could be entirely wrong, but I got Beryl going finally without errors, but I am back on windows for the time being since I cant get a snes emulator to compile so I can play me some Zelda,,,, Sigh.
That is what I love so much about Gentoo, everything is compiled from source in the beginning. Using their portage system with emerge you can install thousands of apps from source with custom use flags and it will install all the dependencies as well. You want a SNES emulator, both ZSnes and snes9x are in portage for Gentoo. Now, it might take longer in order to install some programs since you are compiling from source but it is worth it to me. I know you said you are a beginner but with Gentoo's live CD installer it is just as easy to install as any other distro; however, if you really want to learn something about your system do a stage 3 install following handbook it is well worth the time it takes.