Thread: It is time...
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
I appreciate the callout, makes me feel important. NetherRealm (Nicholas Watros) is the artist and the picture is from 2006; before you even knew what EQEmu was. It was made available as a free download. But I mean if you want to see a copyright disclaimer on an 80px image let me know and I'll do it just for you.

You need to realize, however, that I'm not against you, I was trying to help you. Which says a lot considering I don't agree with your project. Also, I understand copyright laws very well as I run two businesses, one of which deals directly with intellectual property of artists. When it comes to using art resources for forums, free projects, etc I don't make a big stink, and credit the artists when I feel it necessary.

I had a photographer send my company a cease and desist letter a few years ago for a picture I took from google, for the sole purpose of testing functionality on a website. I never made the image public, never actually posted it to a live website, but google indexed the web folder and he found it.

I laughed, explained it to him, he laughed, we went about our lives. The key there was that I was a for-profit business. Most artists don't care that you're using their art for non-profit, for-fun, or other random projects. I know I don't. Hell I've produced several songs that are all over the internet, free to download and uploaded by some shady character somewhere. I don't care.

When the usage becomes commercial, that's when things change.

I appreciate and respect your professionalism and experience. What would you suggest that I do to get out the idea of my creations on a forum without causing a fuss? For example all my other servers only had one issue with this and that's when I accidentally used Guild Wars 2 art. They sent me a cease and desist. I decided to take all art down for paths at that time in a huge overreaction.