View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 04:37 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by image View Post
so you are saying they create a command to set their login password to be used on said private server which is the world server owner? Just making sure I understand.
Sorry, Image, I am not clear on what you are saying there.

Here is an example of what I think would work very well:

1. PlayerA logs into the Public Login Server with their account "player1" and connects to their favorite server.
2. If that server is up-to-date and configured to use the Public and Backup Private LS at the same time, they can enter the game on that server and type "#setpass mypassword". That will save "mypassword" in an MD5 hash into the accounts table for their account "player1".
3. They can then log out and exit EQ completely. And then change their eqhost.txt file to point to their Private LS for that particular server.
4. This time, they log into EQ and hit the Private LS for that server. When they log in, they use the account name "player1" still, but then they use the password "mypassword" that they set while they were on their public account.
5. Since the Private LS would have direct access to the accounts table (just like the IP based mini-login one does now), they would authenticate to that account and have access to their own characters from the Public account. Since they set the password while logged into their Public account, it verifies that they do own that account and should be just as secure as using the Public Login Server.

The only issue with this option is that a determined admin could crack the password that the user set in their accounts table if they wanted. So, it would be a good idea to use a different password from what they might use for other servers and for the Public LS. But, the MD5 should at least reduce the likeliness of admins snooping through passwords. If you are playing on a server where you trust the admins of it, this shouldn't be an issue at all anyway.

Does that make sense? I can picture it working perfectly like that, but it probably sounds a bit confusing.