Thread: New loot system
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 03:53 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

ADDITION

I pondered on this some more and found another SIGNIFICANT problem concerning removal of probability rolls.

You have a loottable that has some weapons on it.

You have following npc types:

orc pawn
orc trainee
orc apprenties
orc warrior
orc centurion
orc legionary
orc warlord

You want EACH of them to have a chance to drop the weapons from your weapon loottable, BUT you want each of them to have different drop chances like this:

orc pawn 10%
orc trainee 20%
orc apprentice 33%
orc warrior 50%
orc centurion 66%
orc legionary 77%
orc warlord 90%

In OLD system what you do is:
-you make a SINGLE weapons table and then assign it to each orc type with a different probability chance.
DONE

In NEW system, I have to create SEVEN different loottables, ALL of them containing identical items but with different item chances multiplied by the probability factor I no longer have access to.

So aside from having to do things like: "multiply 25% item drop chance by the missing 33% probability factor" I have to do this for SEVEN different loottables! Not to mention create the otherwise identical loot-table SEVEN times over.

So my work load just went from "creating loottable ONCE and giving npcs types 7 modifiers to drop it", went to creating 7 NEW lootables over and over and doing my best of not mess things up when putting in the numbers like 6.75%, 13.75% etc.

Now imagine that beside orcs, there are gnolls, kobolts, ratmen, and whoever else, all whom use to have a SINGLE weapons loottable.
NOW, For EACH of them you will need an INDIVIDUAL loottable entry.

So, which one you think is the better "user interface"?