View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 11:07 AM
Auxie
Fire Beetle

If you want to get to the bottom of the "aggression", look at it from the developers and maintainers point of view.

I'm sure your intentions were wholesome as you've likely read about some benefits migrating monoliths to microservices, maybe even been a part of a migration yourself! You wanted to contribute to the benefit of EQEmu and you had a good idea to see if this kind of idea could work on this project.

Then you poked the beast. Always keep in mind that the maintainers and developers on the eqemu source code don't directly earn a dime for the code they write for this open sourced project. So really what the members have invested into the project is their time, time that is likely quite costly per hour on the open market.

I've worked as a developer and with many developers and I can tell you, the number one way to get someone to support your idea, is to provide a proof of concept. It does a few things for your cause:
  1. Shows that you generally understand what you're talking about
  2. Are willing to put in some leg work to help others better understand your ideas
  3. Are ready for the criticism that is to follow from the core team

The proof wouldn't need to be huge in scope, maybe a small script that you could contribute to the documentation that would provision a server / db, config them, pull the code, and start the server. This is a softer more gradual change that others can opt in that is not threatening the existing status quo that others are maintaining.

Now let's get to how I personally interpreted your post. It read as if you were claiming something was broken that needed fixing and you had the answer to it. It's not crazy to think that maintainers of EQEmu would interpret that as a threat or criticism. But then it contained no backing points... you openly just said you wanted to start the discussion - as if the maintainers weren't capable of already knowing how to have this discussion, either internally or publicly.

I don't think anyone wants you to die in a car crash, but it's not absurd to feel like you may have called someone's baby ugly and were surprised when they were offended.

I wouldn't consider this the end of the thread. Keep working on efforts to run EQEmu how you want to. Then publicly share your tools you build. That's how you'll see EQEmu running in the cloud. Create the thing you want, and give it back.

That's exactly what the EQEmu devs do.