View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 10:57 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Default Player thoughts of starting a server

This is just a discussion about players who are "thinking" about starting a server,
or have already done so. Just the topic. (Not intended to be a support thread).

Like many, I was someone who loved playing EQ (Live), years before I ever run into
this project site. I started loving the game so much, I have never touched anything
else since then.
Then one day, I just happen to be passing by and walked in the front door of EQEmu.
By this time I had long quit playing so much on Live servers for some of the common
reasons that others did. (content,etc.)

So there I was sifting through the public server list here on EQEmu admiring the list
and poking in, trying them out and kind of liking the diversity in them all, but found
it a little difficult to absorb the feeling, only because EQ was EQ to me, so seeing
all these customized ones was just one of those things where I was "set in my ways",
so it was hard to grasp, since the whole time I played on Live, it wasn't just the
samantics of the game, it was a feeling it gave me when playing it that fertilized my
passion for the game.
Then after reading through the project and realizing that, since I considered myself
"technically inclined" with computers, it shouldn't be too hard setting up my own
private server to play on. One where I could continue being "set in my ways". There
is nothing wrong with those who like change, or think change is good, but I've always
been someone, when I found something I enjoy, that same enjoyment never goes away.
It's just like a food you may of loved growing up and you STILL love that same type of
food. So we never get comfortable with someone else's recipe. Your mom's recipe will
always be the best ? I know I am still cooking with those same recipe's. I never get
tired of them, (otherwise, I would be eating the crap that my sister serves).
Just like I never get tired of the same EQ I loved playing. It's one of those recipe's.
You don't change it, you just add your own little spices to it.

So fast forward, taking an interest in reading, learning and getting somewhat hooked
on developing a server came quickly. I actually started loving it. The only problem is,
unless you want to settle with someone else's "recipe", you spend more time cooking
than you do eating great food. One can end up actually losing interest in playing EQ,
as you focus so much on trying to create the type of server you set your sites on.
Metaphorically speaking -
You are no longer playing the game. The game is playing you.