View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 06:43 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbay View Post
I'm way too tired at the moment to try this, but is it possible that the difference in DB and table entry names, could be to blame?

example: in char_create_combinations, it's listed as start_zone, where as, the DB file is labeled start_zones?
In the database, you have tables, (not files), each of those tables (like char_create_combinations) will have columns with fields/values in them. So you will see a column named "start_zone" inside a table, but you may see another table named "start_zones", which will have all it's own columns with the fields/values in them. The odd things that are happening for you are unique and specific to something on your server setup. It's just a matter of finding out what has gone wrong. Sometimes, it could be something conflicting between your server (and/or) it's settings and your client. Troubleshooting can be overwhelming for some issues. If you are having issues with an absolute clean server/database (no custom editing), then there may be other problems that are getting overlooked. Example: Do you have these character create problems with a complete default server install? If it works smoothly, then tracing your steps back to when it first happened may help to find out what happened.
I know you may have difficulty understanding the database and (possibly), the problems you experience, but one thing I can assure you, the default server, as a whole, functions as intended. I am constantly goofing around testing (abnormal) things, then when I am done, I delete the whole database and download a fresh copy, which functions, as it should with all it's default settings. Sometimes, when there is updated source code (for the binaries), I will re-compile those as well.
In most cases, the reason anyone has issues with part of a server not working properly, it's something that happened on their end.(on their computer). This could be anything from a needed app that wasn't installed correctly, to configs that were edited wrong, or databases that got edited and/or corrupt in some way that caused a malfuntion. I just installed a fresh database last night and it's working as expected, with all it's default settings. That whole process, including getting it fully updated only takes me about 10 minutes.
But that's something anyone can do, once they have the knowledge and experience to work with these servers. It also helps to have some more advanced knowledge of your computer. (files, folders, apps, etc.). Believe me, 25 years ago, when I had absolutely no knowledge of computers, if I would of came to a site like this, I would of shut my puter off and went back to my nintendo
Before I did start monkeying with this project 9 years ago, I had never dabbled in anything related to perl, sql or databases. I had no experience at all. A lot of reading, trials and tribulations learning the basics of it all. But because this whole Emu project is forever improving and evolving, the learning never stops. It's a lot easier when someone stays on top of it, rather than going awol for awhile and coming back to a brand new chapter. For those simply using the installer and the updater, it's not a concern anymore, but for many doing custom work, manual installs and updates, it can be tedious reviving an old server and getting it up to date without breaking it. (custom content).