Thread: lag problems
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 12:07 AM
ptarp
Fire Beetle

Not sure if this is still being looked at or anything's been done, but I thought I'd mention this because it might bring some things to light.

I took code that was based around 2010 or so. (Note that was before the _character table changed to character_data). I added custom changes from that to code to newer code I grabbed from your GIT at around 8-2017 to use on our server. I didn't notice the difference right away because most of my testing involved a few toons here and there.

Since I noticed the problem with logging in more than 24 toons, I adjusted things in my own code, and started updating my code by incorporating each change to your GIT.. It is now up to date with 9-2018, at which time I noticed one change that really helped, but it was buried in a merge.

I thought that was all there was to it.. But since then, I logged 48 toons in one zone on my server..
All seemed fine and there was no lag.. Until I buffed all my toons. This added to the lag because of added work for database.SaveBuffs(this); function call.

Now, I have begun comparing the code difference between the old version (before the database split) and the new.

In the old version.. The only database call in Client::Save(uint8 iCommitNow) function was using the DBAsyncWork class unless iCommitNow was > 0. That particular class actually added it's own thread to work on a queue of database queries without slowing down the main thred.

I don't see that thread anywhere in the new code. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think it would maybe help.
Don't know for sure, but just a thought.