View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 AM
Torven
Sarnak

I did some research with NPC ignore range several months ago. This is pushed to TAKP already. Posting my conclusions here for posterity:

if top hater leaves forget range:
----if top hater has damaged the NPC and top hater is < 600 (1000 for old EQ?) units away, keep chasing
--------if top hater has been outside forget range for 24+ seconds, loiter then go home at run speed, don't wipe hate list at homepoint
----else loiter then go home at run speed, don't wipe hate list at homepoint
remove any hater if it has been out of range for 30+ seconds

* NPCs not pursuing haters who are out of range will return to their home points at run speed so long as they hate somebody.
* NPCs loiter before going home after halting pursuit of an out-of-range player as if they had a hate list wipe.
* Direct damage and non-damaging spells cast from out of range will not add the caster to the hate list at all. (NPC completely ignores it) This is observable in a few locations in Velious and in the Ring War.
* If the NPC has a DoT on it and the caster is out of range, the NPC will chase for a split second before stopping again for each DoT tick.
* The 30 second wipe was probably longer in old EQ. How long this time was is lost to history. I made it 3 minutes on TAKP pulling a number out of my ass. (which I hate doing, but no choice here)

This explains why NPCs seem to run in random directions when you leave range; they are outdoor mobs running to one of their wander nodes and stay in run mode because they still hate you.