View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 04:18 PM
knowom
Discordant

Just a lot more open sharing and helping of each other within the community would go a long ways I feel. It's not really a one person en devour it has to be more of a collective effort if we really want the community to thrive it's best.

It's sort of like recycling where one person doing a lot of it doesn't do a ton in the grand scheme of things, but a lot of people a little bit can add up to a whole lot more comparatively.

One thing that could be good for a lot of small servers is twist on the progression server concept where players could lock/unlock zone content on that type of server it's generally just unlocked. Most servers seem to have a small user base size is the reality only so many players to go around. To some extent they may some hardware restrictions in terms of bandwidth and/or system memory as well on top of that or contributing to it.
This might be a way to help improve a bit of the social/grouping problem with having a small player base by bringing it closer together.

A nice thing to employ for servers would be a way to unlock and lock different zones like a circle of life cycle of zone access. A detailed wiki guide for how this could be done would be really handy as well. You could take 50-100 zones that always readily accessible zones and reduce it down to 10-20 or 25-50 zones at a time that are accessible zones out of 50-100 zones in total or whatever your ideal target numbers would end up being. These could be enabled or disabled by the players by some kind of action on whatever case by case situation the wiki could have a few different methods probably via a quest and/or raid encounter. Instead of having a limited amount of players spread across a lot zones you could reduce the amount of zones they are spread across which should help bring the community closer together and should help aid in benefiting social interaction a little bit which could help the longevity of servers in turn.

Also I'd just like to say special thanks to KinglyKrab he's always been very helpful in my experience. I don't always fully understand his answers sorry, but even though I'm plenty creative thinking up stuff to develop I'm a bit of a noob on the coding side I'm not a programmer so it doesn't come too easily for me though I don't mind at least trying my hand at trouble shooting and figuring stuff out. He generally provides them and I trust that they are pretty accurate he seems very knowledgeable and helpful. I don't think I've ever had him or seen him come across rude, arrogant, or belittling of myself or others he is one of the most standup people on these forums in that regard and duly appreciated.

Zaela's tools are duly invaluable to the community in terms of customization and very appreciated. Zaela doesn't mince words lol, but that's all right if there is a development tool or idea that Zaela finds appealing enough in it tends to get explored or developed so kudos to that.

Uleat I've only spoken with maybe once or twice, but seemed nice and can't wait to see how the inventory thing comes out who knows maybe that bring about wearable container items? Not sure if that's been determined unfeasible or not, but I know we spoke about it awhile back.

Akkadius obviously you've helped in a abundance of instrumentals ways to this community across the board from the website and wiki to EoC and hosting along with probably a variety of other stuff I haven't thought of as well.

There are others as well have been helpful, supportive, or contributed in different ways too, but I'd rather not drag this out so in summary thanks to any of you who have been. I'm really stoked about Zone Importer and the coming changes and improvements to EoC among other things. It kind of raises my enthusiasm for the future it looks very promising. I'm starting to get back into using and learning Blender. I'm treating it as my personal 3D modeling sandbox sort of like "Akkadius's Playground" for my blender designs if you will.

It's messy atm, but hoping to piece together enough designs to create some usable zones/objects ect in time similar to what Packet is doing currently and what Sakrateri has done in the past. I'm pretty certain had Sakrateri had access to what Packet does now his designs could have been quite a bit improved, but I love some of the 3D model designs themselves he created though textures look a lot more aged and models maybe a bit less detailed since overall system performance has increased greatly. On top of that 3D modeling tools have developed and improved a fair amount as well.