View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 12:43 PM
Daxchunjae99
Fire Beetle

Default chat with ooc from outside the game

Hey all,

I think I found a way to enable cross platforming chat dialogue with players in game. For example, send text from php -> to the running server. I see 2 things required for this to happen:

1) Log must be on 24/7 which may create some gigantic text files that may or may not be a problem.
2) Telnet must be enabled.

With proper safety measures, one can visit a portal front page and send text directly in game as an /ooc. Players are also able to see this. Thus, a chat dialogue can occur from outside the game.

I see potential with this idea:
1) Can offer devs who don't have time to log in-game, quickly see conversations and even send messages directly from their web browser.
2) Have an improved interactive way to use auction for public use?
3) For low population density servers, this may attract more 'liveliness' in auction, shout, ooc conversations.
4) Immediate server messages such as a required restart, spontaneous events, motd changes etc
5) Maybe a modern way of conversation through cross platform interaction?

Of course there are downsides such as the safety of sending packets to in-game, as well as system performance. But it wouldn't be too difficult to experiment with. This would require html, css, php, mysql, javascript jquery, and some sockets knowledge.

What do I know? My hobby is pretty much eqemu at this point. I've played on many servers and still do today. I've tinkered with my own server on and off over the years. I've worked on some side projects and did some php editor modifications for private use. I'm a gm and dev as well and first started with perl scripting as my first language. This one seems like a fun project to do just for the challenge. Some dev's think this isn't very practical but I still believe this idea can be used in a fun way. What do you guys think?

P.S. If all this has been done before then I apologize and ignore everything I've said!

Last edited by Daxchunjae99; 10-31-2018 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Grammar