View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Amphitryon
Fire Beetle

Thank you THANK YOU!!! You just made my day!

as far as cheating goes, Im not worried and nobody else should be either (since its not like the entire planet does not already know of things like MQ, ShowEQ, packet injectors, and a host of other cheating methods.

ITs up to GMs and admins to pay attention if they want to combat cheating, be willing to knock some heads together so to speak.

Besides, there is some major precedent for releasing the code now...The game Ryzom..well last month they released their server code, client code and dev tools as open source...yea the actual production game code. I think getting SC into more developer hands will be a boon for EQEmu, and realy enable/empowered those who want to make custom content free of SOE EULA entanglements.

At any rate I am so glad to hear this news...I have already invested a lot of effort into learning SC, OZ and a host of other tools, for the project I am working on..great news indeed!

This code should not be made private...if admins wind up sitting on it, its never going to grow

Also...it wasnt that long ago someone managed to decompile and publish all the source for the Eve Online client..you know what,it did not matter,,it did not increase cheating, nor did it give undue advantages (since the important stuff is server side). As such having the SC sources public, likely will NOT change anything as far as cheating goes and we will finally see a LOT more custom zones being published.