View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 09:20 PM
Riklin
Hill Giant

Default Solo Server Package - Review

I have been playing this solo server for a while. First, I set it up on a windows 10 pc, and run it using the local login server. The setup was extremely easy. Akka really made it simple, compared to the old way, which used to take a full day to set up... copying the files from the solo_server zip file was no problem, and the sql script itself ran flawlessly. Anyway, on to the game itself...

The GOOD:
The added NPCs work nicely and are a nice addition. The additional quests are definitely welcome, as something new to work on! In zones that used to be train "traps" like blackburrow, befallen, crushbone, you can single pull and fight much easier than before. In all my hours, I have not had a single train. A few adds, yes, but no trains. The gear that you get from the new quests is pretty good for the level, compared to what you used back in the day, the first time through. All in all, this looks promising and will likely provide a bunch of hours of enjoyment.

The Bazaar merchants are a really, really nice addition, btw!

Things I question:

1. I am finding the npc's regen faster than they used to. For instance in blackburrow, they will be back up to around 70% in 12-18 seconds! Not sure if this was intentional, to me that makes it less solo useful...

2. I find the respawn delay to be more of a hindrance than a benefit. EverQuest is a grind. NPCs do not drop what you want every time. Because of this additional delay, it makes quests in the game that depend on rare drops, even more of a pain to do.

3. The shaman in pok would be much more useful if he was more "prolific", as in found in more than PoK. SoW is one of the key spells in Norrath, and with the shaman in 1 place, that puts people dependent on PoK... EDIT: just found the SoW pots in the Bazaar... Oops...

4. If you set the character to a GM, you will see that the "character_aura" table is missing, and this is with the latest Akka windows install.

Thank you for offering this solo server package! It is a welcome diversion!