View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Wolfshead Sky
Fire Beetle

Question Stuck on step 11 (creating Linux server)

I've gone through this process 4 times now and still can't figure out my problem. No matter what I do, I don't have the "peq" folder in my folder as shown in the video. I see the command "mkdir peq server" in step 8 and I've done that, but it still isn't there. If I try to repeat that command, it says that it can't do it because the folder already exists. But I can't find it anywhere. Even if I do a search through the entire computer, I can't find a folder with that name anywhere.

Here is a little bit about me and my issue:

Attempting this project is my first ever experience with Linux. Being very unfamiliar with how Linux works might be part (or all) of my issue. However, I don't see where I've been going wrong.

I am not using Virtual Box. This is a straight-up Debian installation on a dedicated machine.

Each time I retry this, I start completely from scratch with a fresh install of Debian to remove any potential problems I might have caused in my previous attempts.

I've tried to do everything exactly as the steps require...all the way down to using "eq" as the username and "root" as the password for everything. I know the steps also mention that passwords need to be secure, but at this point, I'm more focused on trouble-shooting. Once I've figured out the problem, I'll redo it with better passwords.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Again, I'm very new to this, so it is very possible that I don't know what kind of information I need to be posting about my problem. Feel free to ask .