View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Rezbee
Sarnak

I thought I'd point out, that it is not illegal to tell someone where to find a file as long as you indirectly link to it like a search query on google =)

Also if you ever owned the EverQuest Titanium discs like me and had kids utterly destroy them, it is perfectly legal (assuming you still have the organizational box) to download the disks or as law dictates, you are allowed to recover lost data by public resources available. That is why you see these music sharing websites coming back up after a few years, the law enforcement has been hitting brick walls when they bust someone for downloading music to find out they have a legal copy of the track, thereby "obtaining" a duplicate of that track for personal use is thereby legal to the letter.

For instance Microsoft, they even admit it is ok to download their operating systems as long as you use a valid CD Key, I was told by a MS rep about 5 months ago that obtaining a copy of their operating system through bit-torrents was legal as long as the software wasn't modified and I used my origional CD key; not to say MS does everything legally.