Thread: AA issue
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Shiny151
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
I tried pretty hard to make sure there were not any missing strings when doing the AA revisions this summer but its a rather difficult to impossible task maintaining cross compatibility with every client version and I am sure a few slipped by.

Here is a quick over view of how it works.

The dbstr_us contains an ID entry for each AA which then correlates to your 'altadv_vars' tables 'skill_id'. Your title and descript fields (title_id, desc_id) on Titanium some point to the eqstr_us.txt and some point to the dbstr_us, the fields in that table SHOULD be compatible with Titanium. On SOF+ clients, the title and discript fields are always from the dbstr_us, live no longer uss the eqstr_us for AA data. We use the 'sof_next_skill' which is equal the 'skill_id' of the first AA in that series, which is the same id for the title and discript.

So when your seeing an unknown string on SOF+ client it means the AA id, no longer matches the ID found in the dbstr_us.

Why does this happen? SOE has over the years changed the AA ids for many AA's multiple times. So if when we entered Glyph of Courage the ID was 4707 on Titanium and is now 7028 in VoA, if your using a VOA dbstr_us your going to be broken (this is just an example). MOST of the time SOE left the old entry in the dbstr_us so our stuff works regardless.

That said, I will explain how to diagnosis because it might just be an error that is easy to resolve.

In game see what the (ID# xxxxx) of the AA that is missing is.

Open your altadv_vars table, and find the skill_id that matches it.

Open your dbstr_us and do a search for that ID and see if it matches the AA name, if it doesn't match search for the name and see what the actual ID is.

If you find it has a different ID, then what I would recommend on SoF+ client is replace your 'sof_next_skill' with that new ID and see if it fixes your problem.

Sorry if this is complicated, but AA's are a real pain to maintaining across multiple different client versions.

BTW your ultimate option if you just can not find a solution and do not want an AA that can not be displayed properly is just to disable it by setting its client version to like 99 or something.

Kayen
GM Storm Haven
Fantastic! Thank you Kayen!