View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 09:52 AM
sunbeam
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excuses View Post
I am sorry to butt into something that does not warrant a 3rd party, or another needle, but could you please tell me where he was bullying you? I am pretty concerned you think that is bullying as you were entirely rude back to him.

Please grow up.

I think the server idea is good, but a little too late. I love me some old school but i have done it quite a bit.
He wasn't rude to him at all.

And ... Secrets is it?

Do this.

Using your intended rule set up, run a Vulak encounter. Find willing participants, zap them to 60, give them the usual gear short of NToV you see listed on the P1999 gearing lists.

Then see how many people it takes you to do it with the way you want to run the server. Same with Avatar, etc.

Dunno maybe things work different if 20 people show up with Cleric mercs, but I'm pretty sure 20 people at level 60 with that kind of gear aren't doing Vulak.

See this is the thing I'm not sure you guys (meaning everyone who sets up these kinds of servers) is getting, and it's pretty obvious.

Starting with Velious there was an order of magnitude ramp up in the hit points of these raid mobs. You can go a long way in Kunark, doing what I call 32k mobs.

But in Velious the hp's go through the roof, and you have to keep things going a lot longer. And that means a sheer number of people, particularly healers, than I think an EMU can reasonably expect to have a bout of nostalgia.

Now you might say players can't expect to do every mob in the game. Nope, sorry point is non-negotiable. I want my character to get the lovely Vulak loot I always dreamed of.

And it better be doable with the number of people that I could expect to be able to gather to try it.

And that goes for Ssra Temple, Emperor Seru, Vex Thal, and PoP up to and including Quarm.

No one wants it to be "easy." Just doable with the number of chars you can expect to be able to get involved.

And if that's not possible? Well take a look at the EMU server list. There are a number of servers that are extremely low pop, where people occasionally log on, that are locked in that Velious hold pattern. And will be for life frankly.

If you get to the 150 to 200 people the TAKP project (though they allow 3 boxing) has on, maybe you can get enough people to move in the same direction at the same time to make your vision work.

You get a fairly successful EMU server pop of 10 to 20 unique players at any one time, and it isn't going to do squat. And will see players go inactive once they hit the Velious wall.