View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 05:31 PM
unicorn97211
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck
The only way a necro's snare acts as a root is when the mob is super low on HP 10% or less. Otherwise it went to the redused percentage.
This is true during combat however I think you are mistaking runspeed for walkspeed. Mobs never walk during combat they run to you. When fleeing they don't walk away, they run away from you. When running away from you unsnared they do suffer a negative runspeed and slow to a near walk which is probably a switch from running to walking at low hps.

What I am referring to is when a mob is snared during combat but then loses all hate and attempts to return home (or to its grid) at which point the mob is walking not running. Therefore walkspeed - snare reduction = stopped mob.

This is very very easy to reproduce on live. Log on a necro that is high enough level to use at least Dooming Darkness (lower level snares don't mitigate speed enough). Cast Dooming on any mob and snare it. After it walks to you (mob is actually running but snare reduces runspeed to a walk) feign death. You will notice that the mob will stand there NOT moving an inch until Dooming wears off at which point it will walk NOT run home. This happens with any mob including those buffed with SoW and uber fast running mobs in OOW like Ukun.

Also I would think just about any experienced player knows that groups have a designated snarer in groups to stop runners because a snared fleeing mob can't move. So again this is walkspeed being mitigated to 0.

This is key to split pulling. You see two mobs standing next to each other. You snare one and they both come at you, one running, one walking. You feign and the unsnared mob walks back home while the snared mob can't move and stays put. Once the unsnared mob reaches home and forgets all about you, you stand up, the snared mob remembers you either via feign memory or a tick of dmg from the snare and resumes it's attack only now his buddy is back home and out of aggro range leaving you with a single pull.

Any experienced Necro or SK who has done any split pulling can verify this.

On a side note, how many hps a mob has to get down to before it flees isn't a fixed percentage per say. My observation on live is that a mob will flee when the mobs hps reach a certain ratio to your own. I noticed this because while soloing with my necro, if I was buffed with conviction mobs would begin to flee with a higher amount of hps than they would if I were only self buffed.

If I were still subscribed to live I would do a series of screenshots to demonstrate both these points but for now I'll rely on the experienced necros in these forums to back me up since it's doubtful anyone here knows of the legendary necro Bodob of Club Fu on Bristlebane haha.

I started reading up on how to use TortoiseCVS to do a diff so hopefully I'll be able to post one shortly for Fathernitwit to review.