Thread: EQExtractor2
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Derision
Developer

I had a look at freeportwest with MQ2Map and also moved around the zone and I didn't see any obvious missing spawns.

As Trevius says, Live seems to send all the spawns when you zone in, then for mobs within a certain radius, you get rapid position updates for them (with deltas),
and for mobs outside that radius, you get less frequent updates.

I've extended my collector to create grids. Here is an updated .SQL for freeportwest with grids:

<Link removed. This data is now incorporated into the PEQ database>

You will see that for mobs inside the city, near to where I was, e.g the patrolling knights and guards, there are lots of grid entries, because the position updates come every couple
of seconds, whereas for the mobs outside the gates (snakes, bats and the like), there are considerably fewer updates.

Automatic grids created from packet collects are never going to be much good for that reason, although it does give the world builder a starting point I suppose.

Anyway, I guess the next step is for me to get the tool to the point where it is ready for release as an executable at least, so other people can get to play with it.
Probably have time to do that next weekend.

I should add that while in theory it should be possible to have it record a live EQ stream as you are playing, the way I have it setup is to use capture files collected with Wireshark.
So you go to char select, start Wireshark capturing, zone in with a character, come back 20 minutes later stop the capture, save the captured packets and run the extractor
on the .pcap file.

Last edited by Derision; 06-12-2010 at 12:46 PM..