View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 12:55 AM
hektus
Fire Beetle

There are different calculations which determine how different classes deal and mitigate melee damage (separate from skill calculations), so how would you deal with these differences when combining classes? If you multiclass a monk and a warrior, would it deal damage like a monk or a warrior? Would it mitigate damage like a monk or a warrior? I think that part of it, unfortunately, would not be as simple as spells where you could just give someone the spell casting skills and whatever spells a casting class has.

I think this is actually an interesting idea that could be really fun if implemented properly, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried it before but just ran in to too many problems like the one I just mentioned.

Here's an idea. Instead of mixing full classes and having to deal with all of the mechanics of how each pair of classes should be mixed (2 is doable manually, 3 becomes a nightmare), maybe it would be easier to instead let the players choose what class each aspect of their character comes from. As far as I can tell, each class can be divided in to the following set of properties:

AA Abilities

Combat Abilities

Spells

Offensive Melee (Damage Tables) + Relevant Skills (triple attack, flying kick, backstab, kick etc)

Defensive Melee (Mitigation and Avoidance Tables) + Relevant Skills

Other skills like Feign Death and Sneak you'd have to figure out how to roll in to this system somehow.

Imagine "multiclassing" but instead you select individual aspects from all of the classes, so you can get AA abilities from a monk, combat abilities from a warrior, spells from an enchanter, offensive melee from a rogue, etc and that ends up forming your hybrid class.

Itemizing it might be a nightmare.