View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencro View Post
Shakespeare : Hello Mr. Theater producer, I would like to write and stage theater productions, can you help me?

Theater Producer: Ask yourself one question, What can you create that betters the Greeks like Sophocles or Euripides?

Shakespeare: Well, um, I'm not trying to be those guys, I just want ...

Theater Producer: Nonsense, be off with you..

Shakespeare: Guess I'll just go hang myself now.
My question serves one purpose. Every progression server that has gone up against P99 has lost. Unique ideas flourish. If you want to compete with someone on a particular front (say trilogy progression) you need to have a reason for a user to choose you over them. They have a dedicated team of developers and massive support from the community, people who don't even know this site (eqemu) know p99 exists. What's your vantage point?

And while I appreciate the Shakespeare reference, I don't need to commit any significant amount of time to watch a play (nor does it take any user-interaction). To be competitive in an online game requires a much higher degree of commitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthan View Post
I never said i was going to do it better, but i appreciate the replies! I do think P99 does a good job with their server, but there is definitely some things that they could do different..
As I mentioned above: Getting dedicated players is hard if you compete with a more popular server. I ran the server that p99 dethroned, so I definitely understand first hand. When you do your round table really pay attention to what issues people have with p99 or other progression servers. Try to do something better, that way you have a selling point.