View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 09:41 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

More and more, people are taking advantage of the "easy installer" to have their own server, which may have not been possible
for them in the past, doing it the old school manual way. But it's obvious with support questions popping up, that some will
need to learn "everything" about what to do after that server is installed. (those who are not "technically inclined").
I personally think there needs to be a lot more focus put on that kind of help right from editing the configs to quest scripts,
(lua and perl) and ultimately learning all about the database and how to edit the tables. Example: someone may not know the
difference (in the database) of zoning through a "door" and a "zone_point". Getting to know how, and why things function the way
they do.
A lot of that help is already spread out on these forums, but consolidating it all, making easy to access would help them out.
But being written so all the new comers can understand it would be essential for communicating that kind of "newbie" support.
For instance, some may not know what a "scope" is in a block of code when reading a help topic. I do believe a lot of people
have an easier time learning from samples they can read and go from there as well. (Quest scripts, etc.)
I guess it all depends on the desired depth, or just how extensive one wants to go with this. It's definately a more positive
approach that I'm sure everyone would welcome.