View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 10:36 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowom View Post
Not a issue these days for Android Nvidia Shield Android TV has HDMI 2.0 4k support. It also can stream from a PC from a Maxwell based GPU. It has USB 3.0 support and 3GB of ram as well plus a stronger GPU than what I originally was thinking of at the time a Tegra K1.

To me the whole point would be to have it run from android device itself to take advantage of it's power efficiency to do either things play it via Linux/Wine or host a server on it. It sips power compared to a typical PC. I think it's more feasible today, but probably any of it's efficiency advantages are a lot less intriguing with the more efficient x86 CPU's available now. Not to mention capable older x86 CPU's that you could undervolt/underclock to save a lot on power.

You build a C2Q LGA771 mod adapter server for chump change these days and just undervolt one of those server chips which many of them had highly binned energy efficient lower TDP designs anyway that are still very decent CPU's.

In terms of just playing EQ on Android the Shield TV Console should be able to do so fairly trivially maybe even at 4K resolution EQ is not graphically demanding it's old as dirt. Basically all you'd need to do is run Linux on Android and use Wine for Linux and run EQ.

I'm pretty confident that if Shield TV Console can modestly emulate Wii Dolphin Emulator EQ wouldn't even be remotely challenging in terms of performance.

I think getting away from the nasty x86 intel monopoly would be an excellent reason.