View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 PM
trevius
Developer

Yes, your 3 days uptime with a few hours of downtime is probably comparable to the current public LS before it got to this extreme state a few weeks ago due to attacks and hacks and probably other things that rhyme with "acks" (just kidding). Even though it's stability has never been good since it moved to it's current host, it was never this bad until recently. At least then it would normally be up for nearly a month straight and then have a few days all in a row, where it would have hours of downtime. Then it would be back up and stable for a few more weeks. It just kept getting progressively worse and attacks were able to bring it to it's knees with minimal effort.

But again, you are comparing your new LS hosting which has been up for 2-3 days with hosting that is going to be replaced completely any day. If for any reason, the new hosting sucks and cannot be fixed, then yeah, people should probably consider making the switch. But, I wouldn't personally want to tell my users that all of their characters are gone and they have to start over so we don't have to wait a couple of days for the current LS to get replaced with a new improved one :P I prefer to wait it out and let the dust settle a bit. If I lose a few players due to that, then so-be-it.

That isn't to say people shouldn't make the switch. I am just trying to make sure people know that things aren't going to be the way they are around here much longer and for anyone willing to wait it out, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I have no problems with you guys or your LS, but it isn't the official LS of the project, and the project is what I am here for. It really is cool that you guys have provided an alternative to anyone who wishes to use it. I imagine if you could get 1 popular server to move there, they would get a ton of players moving their right now and many would probably stay even after the Official LS issues are worked out. Someone should take advantage of that if they have a new server with a currently low population and want to increase traffic to their server. But, it is a very hard decision for any existing server to make that move unless there was coding built into the EQEmu server source that would let us connect to both Login Servers at the same time. If that happened, I would gladly use it.