View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 01:23 AM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Default EDD Particle Data Editor

Technically already linked this somewhere else, but figured it deserves its own thread.

A program for viewing and editing the client's .edd files, which set out various things (80 fields worth of information) about particles (both weapon and spell). Main use is in making custom particles for custom weapon models.

Link

As said, there are a lot of fields. Vaion and I spent a little while doing some trial and error to label them, but we only got around half of them at this point. Even then, in some cases it's clear that a field is doing something but not exactly what that something is, or how to describe it in a couple of words. In particular, a lot of fields seem to come in threes, and not all of them are axis-based. Some appear to apply the same effect at different times or in different ways...

Plus, there are simply too many fields to edit manually -- which is why the tool can copy existing particle data. Probably the sanest way to make a custom particle is to find an existing particle on a weapon that has characteristics you want, figure out the ID of that particle using the EQG Weapon Model Importer, and then copy it with this tool and then maybe tweak a few values (like the source image file for the particle) as needed.

You'll probably want to back up your ActorEmittersNew.edd before editing it. Note that particle IDs are relative (array-based), so any new additions/copies will be inserted at the end. Deleting particles from the middle of the file is a bad idea for the same reason.

Weapon particle image files are loaded from the ActorEffects folder in your EQ folder. While the things in there are mostly all .dds and .tga, .png images will work fine (though they might need to be flipped around to show up right-way-round in-game).

If anyone figures out what some of the unlabelled fields do, feel free to tell me and I'll update the tool.

Anywho, pair this up with EQG Weapon Model Importer to make fully custom particle weapons.