View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 04:49 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

This is why I support the use of bots. Comparing them to boxing, you still have to gear up all your own toons either way,
but with bots, they all level together, you don't have to buy spells for them and never have to worry about their corpses.
But if a server is going to head towards "solo", as compared to the classic "need a group", I am an "all or nothing" type of
guy with no grey areas inbetween. Whether boxing or bots, go all the way with it, or not at all. Then live with the decision
whether it turns out positive or negative. Obviously the boxing has turned out positive for servers like EZ and others. But
if you ask the opinion of 100 different players, they will all have something different to say. We hear all sorts of rants
and raves about what players hated on EQ Live. "Been there, done that, don't want to do it again", "Didn't like this or that",
but then all these custom servers reinvent what they think EQ should be like, then again, we hear opinions, "I don't like that".
Some say they don't like boxing, some don't like bots, some don't like MQ2. I even read about someone complaining that when
he zoned, his toon heading wasn't pointed in the right direction. (He must of accidently glued his mouse to the puter desk).

As for what my own eyes see, I have no choice but to believe statistical facts over individual opinions that try to speak for
the rest of the player base. While "some" players are definately looking for something new (custom), when you look at the
population of a server like P99, others are quite happy with locked content.

As I indicated in my OP on this thread, there is a variety out there. Solo servers, classic grind, boxing, mercs, bots,
custom content, items and gear, custom zones, locked or unlocked expansions, buff bots, porters, corpse summoners, etc.
It's usually the odd individual with "picky" preferences that will show up on these forums looking for something special.
Like, "Oh I am looking for a solo server, easy but not too easy, with people on it to talk to, but no boxing or bots, in case
I want to group once in awhile. Mercs are ok as long as I can solo good with them and free starter gear, but no defiant, with
a porting npc and buff bot placed on the north side of the PoK for easy access." ...Sure, I'll get to work on that right away.