View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Grumble
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocating View Post
Since I have limited knowledge on melee I have no idea what their solo capability was during the era. My understanding on Melee back then was a Warrior was never a solo class, you just could not do consistent damage to be solo viable. So for the old salts out there that have good memories of Classic style play, what could a melee do? Back then you were probably wearing a set of Banded at level 30 carrying what ever weapon you could find. What could you take down at level 30 consistently? Was it a green, light blue or blue?
Consistent damage wasn't the issue. HP recovery after combat was the issue. At L30, HP regen was only 30hp per minute while sitting and 10 while standing.

I played a monk (EZ mode of EQ melee). Monks could bind wound up to 50% hp then hit mend. Every 6 minutes, you could be back up to 80%+ and be ready to pull again.

One blue con mob every 6 minutes. Light blue's didn't exist. Green con mobs gave no experience (before grey cons were added).

This was using bare fists (10/34 at L30). Pre-Fungi or other regen items. Pre-weapon itemization for monks.

Warriors and rogues had a tougher time because they didn't have mend. A monk can start at 80% hp and end at 10% hp and be able to repeat this process every 6 minutes. A warrior/rogue going down to 10% hp will only go back up to ~55% hp in the same amount of time. Warrior/Rogues have to either wait longer to get up to 80% hp or fight lower/weaker mobs.