View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Packet
Hill Giant

I'll explain how it's going to work. Here's an unnecessary info-graphic of the map which includes tower (turret) placement with the radius & line of sight, minion paths (red dotted lines), jungle mob placement (for whoever wants to jungle), bushes/shrubs, inhibitor & main base tower.

All of these will most certainly be tweaked but anyone that's played League of Legends will know what all of this means. All of my concepts were based off of League. DOTA, HON & a lot of other moba's share very similar dynamics.
So here's the map:

Note: Players will be able to hide in bushes and will be revealed if another player runs in or they step on a trap (or if a minion happens to be in a bush as well).
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowom View Post
It would be really cool if you could model a trebuchet or cannon ...
I am working on a "trebuchet on wheels" npc character model just for this. There won't be splash damage but it will do more damage and have more health than the average minion. These are called "Siege Minions" which spawn every 90 seconds. Each wave of minions will consist of 3 melee & 3 ranged totalling 6 minions per lane. 6 minions will spawn into each lane every 30 seconds. Once the siege minion spawns, there will be 7 minions total which will patrol down their respective lane. I should also note that once you've destroyed an enemy inhibitor in a lane, super minions will begin to spawn once every 30 seconds (along-side regular minions) and the inhibitor will re-spawn in 5 minutes which halts the super minion spawning.

Quote:
... which could target the towers ...
Towers, inhibitors & bases are all NPC's with custom models that do not move from their position. They can be targeted & destroyed by npcs and players. The towers will also prioritize whomever stepped in its radius first unless you attack an enemy champion. Then the tower will aid the champion that was hit over the mobs attacking it.

Here's the tower:

Here's the inhibitor (this one will be redesigned, I hate it actually.. I just needed a placeholder for now):

Quote:
I could see a ample amount of traps being fun to toss in as well
There won't be traps already set however, some champions will have visible & invisible traps that can be set.

Quote:
Packet do you know what your going to cap the levels at yet? When I was thinking over and discussing the EQ DOTA/MOBA subject with Nerdgasm in the past I felt like 20 would be a good level cap in the context of EQ that way you could cap skill points at 100 cleanly 5 per level which he seemed to more or less be in agreement with about it.
The same as League which is 20.

Quote:
I'm guessing those towers are considered races are target able a bit like a frightful chest mobs from plane of hate and are stationary rooted in place or will be? At least that's how myself and Nerdgasm had thought that aspect through and discussed as a method that made practical sense. Which I'm sure they automatically KOS aggro the opposing team within range additionally.
That would be correct.

Quote:
Are you planning to have a few map variety rotations with different spawn types? Like I can see one being themed around Vampires vs Werewolves, day/night cycles of living/undead, good vs evil mobs, ect a variety of themes are quite easily possible is what I'm getting at. ......... I really like ARAM howling abyss map for example in LoL .......
I am not thinking that far ahead yet. There will be an aram style zone eventually but that's down the road assuming this server gains some sort of consistent player-base.

Quote:
I'd love to have a four faction sided summoners rift type of map ...
For the moment, I'm going to stay with two lanes considering this will require an ample player-base. Currently, to offset missing players - bots will spawn with their own AI that will push on their lanes and assist accordingly.

Quote:
I could probably try to do some custom map types or portions of them anyway if you are interested in some EQ MOBA map variation.
I appreciate the offer but for the moment, code-work is the largest task in this project. I'm making great progress so far and hope to have a playable alpha within this month. We'll see. Luckily for us, character wipes shouldn't be necessary so there's not much to fear in terms of losing things.

Quote:
MOBA/DOTA is obviously a different topic though they were designed to maintain equal balance more properly despite being side A versus side B since gear doesn't come into the equation and it's just pure skill vs skill, but a balanced team vs team playing field.
Gear means more than skill sometimes. You'll benefit far more in a match by purchasing gear that complements the champions attributes.

Formerly "Richardo"