View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 AM
knowom
Discordant

Guess what time it is? Guess what time it is?!? It's bashin time trollolloll!! Woot!! Woot!! With that out of the way more screenshots of Grobb now with more high definition bashin!!

In the first picture I tried to use DXT5 YCoCg scaled compression in GIMP and it made it look really screwed up. It's better to stick to DXT1, DXT3, or DXT5 in my experience. On a site note DXT5n can give a really interesting look at times so it's fun to experiment with to see how it will make the texture look same with DXT5alpha. It's important to check the texture you do compress after exporting just to ensure it looks as intended. In some cases using DXT1 can mess up the looks a lot, but it's file size is the smallest when it works it's great for keep the file size smaller, but when it doesn't it looks like hell. I haven't really encountered the same issue with DXT3 however the file size for DXT3 and DXT5 compression in my experience is the same anyway so I don't even see a reason to use DXT3 over DXT5 currently and uncertain what DXT3 offers or doesn't offer in comparison.

Now speaking of file size I scaled the resolution down to 2048 (2k) to 1024 (1k) for both the floor grcagr.bmp and ceiling grinnerca.bmp textures I changed here, but I plan to put them back to 2k textures to keep it as consistently as I can. I did it really just for testing purposes to see noticeable 1k vs 2k resolution textures would appear it's a lot less apparent than going from 512k or lower textures up to 1k or higher textures.