View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela_S View Post
Yeah, I missed the early days when it seems legal issues were discussed here a lot. Don't know much about all that stuff; curious where exactly the line would be drawn. Can I modify my own files? (Well, not much they can do there.) If so, what's to stop me from making and distributing a program which modifies peoples' files for them in a pre-set way, e.g. inserting new textures into an .s3d and modifying a .wld, but not distributing any of the original data from those files? Probably too blatant a loophole... presumably "modify" does come right after "distribute" on the list of Things You May Not Do.
We just need a program that would merge copyright free .s3d files into other .s3d files by the users on their end. From what I understand there is nothing illegal modifying the files on your own PC much like DJ's and music manipulation to remix songs. It's purely the distribution of copyright materials where the legality issue comes into play. WSUS Offline Update has a lot of great things to model a EQemu s3d file patching program around. Could even have a github feature to download individual user patch mods or even batch ones.

Using my Grobb texture project as a example.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1YE...dQQWtqZkE/edit

Simplifying the original text file instructions a bit I should have perhaps saved the custom textures found in the Grobb folder as Custom_Grobb.s3d. Then simply had users copy contents into the default grobb.s3d file. Backing up the original .s3d files someplace safe is still always recommend of course in case you'd like to revert back to defaults. Given the way I did have it saved uploaded though I'd just recommend taking the Grobb folder textures in the zip and adding them to default grobb.s3d file with S3DSpy. A backup copy still recommended.

In a WSUS Offline Patch inspired program you could take something like merge Grobb.s3d user mods to grobb.s3d with merge patch save options button and could have a check box for a batch merge patch save project. The file name for the mod files could really be whatever and user selected from a directory and same for the default S3D files being modded you could just have 1-10 base directory + mod directory with individual merge patch save buttons along with a check boxes if you wanted to do a batch patch file for simplicity.

This program would raise the interest level I feel of texture modding a lot at least for me personally. The distribution hurdle was what really deterred my overall initial enthusiasm I had when I worked on revamping Grobb. I'd have been much more inclined to do more zones otherwise especially with like a patch program that could download from a github repository. I'd touched on the subject before in another thread. I didn't really have a great relatively more simplified solution in mind just a generic one.

This could be viewed as a better alternative to Open Zone is because we could still enjoy our familiar zones and 3D models just in new dynamic ways. While technically still possible the idea of it is largely inaccessible and or simply not worth the effort from a individual standpoint. A way to mod distribute patch and share in a easily and accessible manner I feel it would greatly increase peoples interest levels by collectively making the game more unique and custom rather than mostly on a individual basis.