Thread: EQ Growth
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 08:20 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
As a server owner I've always lived by this: "I'm building the server I want to play, and if other people decide to join me along the way, great!" Doesn't mean I don't take input, feedback or criticisms, but rather that I won't waiver on my vision to create the server I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splose View Post
Frankly over the years the community (at least the players) has changed significantly.
I agree with you totally Splose, but I also have the same attitude as chrsschb, above. It really does boil down to a "Stand your ground" game server, without stressing yourself out about population. Because of that, some players actually "think" you need them. They believe that you put all that work into it and put that server up just for the bragging rights of a population, but in the end, nobody wins a hero biscuit for it. The only reason it takes a special person to deal with it all, is because most will succumb to that infamous population addiction, much in the same way a player will care about nothing, except getting leveled, forgetting about the rest of the game.

Back before all this online MMO concept, we went to a store, like EB Games, took a box home, opened it up and hoped for the best. If you had issues, your only hope was dialing 1-800 suck-it-up-princess. There was no GM to talk to, no Discord, no in-game complaining or whining. You very simply started the game up and played it.

On EQ live servers, players inherited the right to complain and have a say in what happens to the game, because they pay a monthly subscription for it. But, on these free to play Emu servers, they tend to have similiar expectations and remain just as "needy". Once in awhile, a disgruntled player will donate to a server, with expectations, but sorry, if they are stupid enough to to do that without first knowing whether they are going to like it, or trust it..... 1-800-suck-it-up-princess

In the end, I would encourage any dev to stop worrying about the population. That's the only reason they allow themselves to get stressed out and say "fack it". Guaranteed, if I ever attempt to put up another server, there will be no discord, no gm holding their hands, no talk show host or live question period. There will a website for knowledge and forums to post bugs and issues, and that's it. What's the worst that can happen? No population ? Oh Facking Well! It's mine and It's free!

Anyone starting out, working on a new idea just has to ask themselves one question, right at the beginning. Am I making this server for my own enjoyment or, am I sitting wondering, "What kind of server should I make for the players?" That's for you to decide, but do you really really want to spend months and months, (or years) on a project without ever knowing whether it's going to make YOU happy ? Sounds totally ridiculous to me.