Thread: EQ Growth
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 10:37 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splose View Post
Frankly over the years the community (at least the players) has changed significantly. Getting back into the game and running a fairly popular server the past 2 or so months I can't remember a time where players were more entitled and unappreciative as now. The best way to stay sane is to ignore 90% of them.

It isn't everybody, and there are still great people around in the community, but man it is super exhausting running a server and dealing with some of these people. People are also super unwilling to read any resource you may put out for your server and then get all upset when you don't answer their generic spam questions that are answered on your discord, website, server greeter, and every 15 mins via announcements.

This is the reason why servers last for a month and server owners just say fuck it.. In the end it is generally a thankless job that you do for free.. takes a special kind of person for sure.
One of the biggest draws to Everquest for me over the years, and I'll admit it, I am an old timer, is the aging community. The last couple generations don't want to sit on their hands and wait 8 hours for a spawn, and they often have no idea what it was like in early EQ to sit and meditate back mana before a pull. So in most cases these folks just leave us to our own devices and decide this game sucks... I got into the emulator as a way to run around and explore zones I hadn't yet seen on live, but the ability to create my own content and the tireless efforts by the devs to turn out some amazing work has kept me coming back. The beauty of Everquest and the Emulator is not in the development of the next big draw, but in the fine tuning of something that was great and can be kept great by our hard work. Kid's don't see that.