View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Aengor
Fire Beetle

Default How about a jailbreak?

Hi all

I've been wondering, why not break out of the cage that is the SOE provided client side content? The Emu itself is such an awesome system. It is mature and stable yet, limited to what is included with the supported original clients.

Does it sound feasible to make the EQ specific (game systems) parts of the server plugable in some way so that they could easily be replaced with entirely new stuff? Free of the limits (and legal issues!). How about "OpenEmu" Of course that means a new, open, client too. I've seen some of the efforts that have been made here (including my own Zonewalk experiment which is here on the boards too http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36087 )

Just seeing the incredible effort that some of the people here make in order to develop the server software systems and create various flavours of "The EverQuest Experience" makes me wonder if some that creativity and energy could not be channeled into a direction that would allow to create truely original, new worlds? Curious ....

Aengor