View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shendare View Post
Zaela, I noticed that I could put non-dds images in as long as they were named the same, but the client doesn't appear to create mipmaps for them, so they get really nastily pixellated at angles. Floors were especially bad, because they're -always- seen at angles, never head-on.
Ah! I didn't know that it didn't generate mipmaps. I've only really looked at PNG images on weapons and such, much harder to see at a distance I guess. Makes sense if they're always pre-generated, though.

On the other hand, makes me wonder how they handle images that really are BMP -- almost all of the images in the Titanium client .s3d files named ".bmp" really do have BMP headers, and there are still some from recent free-to-play downloads that are like that -- mostly old Mob/weapon textures, but some zone ones as well. I guess there could be some BMP extension to support mipmaps, or they could be some old transitional semi-dds bmp format, although google isn't helping me there. Or I guess the images could just be so low quality that running them through a filtering algorithm doesn't make a noticeable difference. Might be worth looking into, in any case.