View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 09:01 PM
entropy
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingly_Krab View Post
The forum is ~16 years old or more and it’s hard to retroactively put a system in place that could possibly compromise hundreds or thousands of loginserver accounts that people may have shared, sold, or whatever. Logging in to a forum account is no more proof that you are the legitimate owner than giving us the loginserver account names or associated email. In my opinion I think we haven’t done it for the very reasons I just described.
In what way does logging into the forum account NOT prove that you're the owner? At present if I can log into a forum account, I can change the loginserver password and play the game, delete characters, create new characters, sell items in EC, etc. Preventing forum account users from changing an email address won't stop any of that. If you'll notice, I created my account here in 2004. A good percentage of people, including myself, will no longer have access to the email address that they were using fifteen years ago, because that's like an internet century. As I mentioned I'm still using my account to play the game and enjoy it, and it's really just a small inconvenience that I can't link my P99 account with this one, but it's still not making sense to me who you think you're protecting by preventing people from changing their email addresses if they can log in to the forum. If someone has access to the forum account they have access to the login-server and therefore the characters. Nothing about an account is safe once the forum account has been compromised anyway... I want to be polite, and I have a lot of respect for what's been accomplished by this project, but... It's current year. People change their email addresses, sell domains, graduate school, life goes on and some email accounts go away.