View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 AM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

I put up a new minor version at the download link.

Now that I know my way around a bit better, this tool now also supports importing from .obj (Wavefront) format. It's somewhat more complicated to use than .ply, but .obj encapsulates separate materials and objects (i.e. different sections of the model) from Blender (or whatever) rather than just the geometry. This enables things like having one part of the model be shiny and another not, or different parts of the model having different source textures (inefficient, but may be easier to work with for UV unwrapping), and may just generally save a little time if you're setting things up properly in your modelling program.

The process is pretty much the same as with importing from .ply:

When you have your model ready, find the option to export to Wavefront (.obj).

There's more export options to consider this time. As in the image, you'll want to be sure to have these options selected:

* Apply Modifiers
* Include Edges
* Write Normals
* Include UVs
* Write Materials
* Triangulate Faces

"Objects as OBJ Objects" probably isn't needed, but it doesn't hurt. Remember that you may need to set the Forward and Up directions to weird values to make your model show up right-way round in-game.

Aaaand then select Import Model > From .obj in the tool.

Provided you have all the relevant files (the .obj and .mtl files from the export, and any image files for the material textures) in the same folder when you import, they will all be loaded in for you. The image files will automatically be flipped (and converted to .png if they weren't already).

Note that only diffuse and normal map textures are recognized for the materials; other values captured during the export are mostly unused by the client. You'll have to add any other properties (like shininess) in the tool.