View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 02:20 AM
Zaela_S
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowom View Post
A patch program I'd absolutely love to see is one that could mod patch texture swap EQ's own textures locally. Like taking all of Innothule's textures and apply them to other zones via a patch program with a quick patch config files that you could share to load for users to locally patch.
I don't have much experience with zone textures, but that seems like it would be pretty tedious to work with. It's not like you can just swap one zone's textures over another's and expect to get something coherent. I'm pretty sure they aren't standardized or anything; deciding which textures should replace which would take a lot of care. And even then, one zone might have 6 or 7 textures for "grass" while another has one or two or none. And some textures get stretched out a lot more than others, or expect to be stretched a certain way (I'm thinking of paths in parts of gfaydark and butcherblock and such, for example).

Actually setting up such texture swap patches that don't look totally awful would take much, much more work than writing a program to make the swaps.

edit: Let's not forget transition textures either, like when a zone has a grass texture and a dirt texture, and then a third texture where grass transitions to dirt in a nice, clean, edge-hiding way. Can't expect such things to be equivalent among different zones. And just ignoring transitions in a zone that normally has them would presumably give you some rather stark changes, clearly pointing out different sections of geometry in the zone. Etc etc etc.