View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 01:15 PM
Kikinaak
Sarnak

Nice. I was afraid the subject was completely dead. I do have a server running, but after 23 expansions, EQlive has become a monty haul campaign. I was one of those rangers who fletched their own trueshot back when that actually meant something. Now its considered a joke weapon and god help anyone trying to put together a group to get that !@#$% mermaid hair for the [next incarnation]. Just like pretty much all player crafted gear. At least low level enchanters can still make something remotely useful...

Keeping up with the expansions is also the bane of those maintaining the server codebase and the db. P1999 and other classic projects sidestep this by going back in time to when the game was new. But you cant make old content new again, and if you dont have the latest and greatest compared to random_other_server, no one wants to play. So my answer is, create new content. I want to eventually create a new game world, new zones, quests, new items and spells, and just start with a clean slate where you cant just pop a fresh toon up to the bazaar and walk out with endgame gear, and where mobs just outside the newbie zones arent "balanced" to need a full suit of artifact quality gear for a level 10 to survive. And the idea of there being entire new zones and continents on the emu that live doesnt offer isnt exactly unattractive either.

Like I said, big ambitions, not so much knowledge on how to make it happen. I'll be eagerly watching for the new tuts and tools being worked on.