View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 04:43 PM
joedit
Fire Beetle

Hi Spockmaster,

By no means I am an expert, but I have been playing with eqemu for a bit, and you and I have similar use case. I mainly use it as a private server (private login as well) and occasionally open it up for my brother to login from externally.

I installed VirtualBox on Windows, and loaded eqemu on both Ubuntu and Debian. Personally I like Ubuntu better. 18.04 seems to be a stable version for eqemu, and I am running it on 22.04 as well and it seems stable so far. With VM, it is so easy to port the database to another instance for testing/messing around.

HW wise, I have allocated as little as 1 core and 3GB of RAM, and it runs fine. The installer seems to run fine with just 1 core and 2GB of RAM, but I had issues after starting the server. For my "production" setup, I allocate 2 cores and 8GB of RAM, and that is plenty for my brother and I, with about 48 tons total. I use a single SSD for both OS and EQEMU but I backup the DB once in a while - not best practice but good enough for my bro and I.

I tried really low end CPU as well, such as AMD Athalon, and the cheapest cloud service and those configs I mentioned above seem fine.

The install instructions are great and as long as you follow them, you should be fine. Enjoy!

**edit - sorry I called you Spockermaster earlier**