View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Sorce08
Fire Beetle

In case you couldn't tell, I had a ton of fun on the Dungeon Runner server. You did a good job at creating the custom items and to me the rarity was just right. The items found in the higher tiers made you want to try other classes. Not to mention the augment system and item buffer/crafter.

Having said that, here are my thoughts on your questions, for what it's worth:

What are your thoughts on a 6-box limit, when the most challenging and rewarding content will be tuned for 18 players?

I like the idea of having raids that take groups but I personally don't like more than 2 box normally, 3 box max. However, that is a personal preference, other players that want to 6 box have no bearing on my fun. Though I do think being able to 6 box makes the lower end challenges fairly trivial if it is tuned towards solo/duo(ish)

Which do you prefer, Dungeon Runner style, or Sandbox, and why?

I would prefer a sandbox style server with rare itemization like in DR. I like the idea of open zones to explore for loot and/or rare spawns, where options are available if a named spawn you need is camped. Also, one thing i've noticed through all these years on EQEmu is when players start finding the good stuff, the server quickly fills up with those items, provided they are not no-drop, which eventually shortens the life span in some cases.

Do you prefer a hub zone with teleporters, or a custom zoneline travel-based world?

I am on the fence with this one. I like the idea of having custom zone lines depending on how they are done but I also like the idea of being able to go back to the hub when needed and be able to jump back into the fray as quickly as possible.

How do you feel about limiting class choices?

This also depends on how the classes are done, if customized, and the longevity each class has when gearing up and obtaining AAs.

How do you feel about completely deleting class abilities and customizing from the ground up?

I have played on some servers in the past that have done this and the ones that got it right were a lot of fun. I would certainly welcome the new experience. Having custom classes lends longevity to the server as well, in my opinion.

How do you feel about introducing donator weapons as the only piece of gear obtainable via donations?

Like most have said, I have seen donation items become a slippery slope. I have never ran my own server so I cannot speak to that end, but even though I had a lot of fun with the items I received when donating, it kind of became a have and have-not server and ended up mostly a handful of the same people on it. Once a server has a reputation as pay to win, even if it is not, I would assume it becomes a turn-off for many. Depending on the level of power the weapon comes with, it could give a big advantage as weapons seem to be largely the most needed item. One possible idea could be to offer a different look to the weapons found in the game and even with a minor clickie effect.

What are some tasteful rewards for donations that I can implement that are NOT pay to win?

I always have liked the idea of appearance items, potions, useful clickies for low to mid-tier game, and even a donator zone that has some of the rare spawns, that are also obtainable in the regular zones (i.e S2k) Experience potions are really nice as a donator item but I think it would have to be a fairly low percentage as to not allow someone to jump too far ahead and horde the camps, but would help those that don't have a lot of time every day to grind it out. I don't know if this is possible, but if it is, you could offer one-time use tokens that create an instance zone for x amount of time if someone is trying to farm specific gear. Lastly, custom titles are always fun, too.

I understand not everyone that donates has the same agenda, but I always see donations as a way to say thank you for the work and if I play more than 30 days its no different than me buying a new game off of Steam.