View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 02:07 AM
cilution0
Fire Beetle

So I just made a server using the installer, here's a list of things I would love to be able to easily find information on since I have no idea what I'm doing:

1. How to I make myself a GM, and what can I do once I am?
2. How do I create custom items or modify existing ones?
3. How do I create custom NPC's, how do I tune them, give them abilities? What about scripted encounters, where would you start for that? Vendors? Alternate currency vendors? AA vendors?
4. How do I go about doing something like creating a hub zone, forcing all characters to start there?
5. How to create buffers, teleporters, various things like that?
6. How to change zone connections, or create new custom zonelines
7. A good explanation of what changes require client file changes, and what doesn't
8. A good walkthrough of common client files that need to be changed due to customizations, what they do, and what we can do with them (and maybe what we can't)
9. An example of making a basic change in the source code for some custom functionality on the server, how to rebuild and see it in action (what's the fastest way to iterate on something like this?)
10. An example showing us how to protect ourselves with creating backups, storing them remotely, and restoring using that backup. What else should be backed up besides the database? etc.
11. How to disable/enable various sets of features, like mercenaries, bots, aa's, etc.
12. How to modify level caps
13. How to set up tier based progression, custom character flags, conditional level caps, things like that
14. Examples for creating various types of quests/tasks
15. How to create custom AA's, spells, abilities, disciplines, etc
16. How to populate a zone from scratch, what tools are there to help, how to set up spawns, pathers, etc.

Ideally we'd just have some site where I can see a listing of things like this, type in "how do I..." and we get directed to pages explaining these things based on identifying keywords/tags or something. Such pages would benefit greatly from having comment threads on them too, as I could see people sharing various tweaks for similar specific purposes, or answer questions by pointing them to another page with information that will help them or identifying more potential guides.

Also, it would be really cool if there were certain templates we could choose to start with when starting a server. For example, templates for Classic, Kunark, Velious, Luclin, etc. that would automatically lock down zones beyond them, do its best to clean up out of era items/npcs, etc. Various templates could be projects of themselves that the community could help polish up over time.