View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 05:50 AM
djeryv
Hill Giant

As said previously, make sure you get a server up and running first. Don't worry about my solo server package until that point. Once you have a functioning server, follow the directions in the README. You simply copy some files to a specific folder, and then load up my database changes into your everquest database (usually called PEQ). Start the server and you are off and running.

Having a server for you and a friend is a perfect use for this. It lets you play alone and lets you play one character at that. I appreciate the bot system and think it is far more useful than the mercenary system...but I feel that bots can kinda ruin the experience of playing a character to its strength.

As an example, if you use bots...you may create a cookie-cutter group. So you make a cleric character and then you make a fighter and wizard bot to go with you. Then you decide to make a wizard character and then you make a fighter and cleric bot. I found that when I played this way...I played each character pretty much the same and approached it like a a group as if I was playing Baldur's Gate.

I would prefer having the monsters adjusted and then approach areas and problems differently based on the character I made. It just lets you explore the character better when all you have with you is your skills and spells. I also think bots can kinda spoil the nicety of the pet-having classes like mages and necromancers. I make a necromancer because I want to have that skeleton following me around. It is one of the things that make that class fun to play.